Saturday 10 February 2018

Cupid's arrow strikes a blow for Office Romance

Research shows that only 12% of company managers have been provided with training on managing workplace romances. 

Moreover, 43% of HR staff have encountered a workplace romance despite 99% of policies on workplace romances stating that romantic relationships between supervisors and their staff are not allowed.

Employees falling for each other isn’t rare. Naturally, close relationships will form between people who spend large parts of their lives together. One study from 2011 found that 30% of office romances led to marriage. But that still leaves 70% that don’t end with wedding bells.

With Valentine’s Day approaching, Jayne Hart from The HR Dept Newcastle discusses some of the more troublesome issues surrounding office romances:

“Whilst nobody enjoys telling Cupid where he can and can’t aim his arrow in the workplace, there are times when senior management really should step in. For instance, when a manager and their direct subordinate enter into a relationship. After all, the superior’s impartiality and authority will be compromised, and this can affect a team’s morale. You certainly don’t want employees accusing a manager of weakness or favouritism – and this is if the relationship doesn’t turn sour with the problems that it could bring like the manager being accused of an abuse of power.

“It’s also your duty to ensure that, if you find that an employee fancies a co-worker who does not reciprocate, any pestering must be dealt with the moment the issue is raised. The last thing you want is a sexual harassment tribunal case.”

Some of us enjoy a gossip, and the relationships between co-workers can be prime subject matter. It’s important to ensure this doesn’t go too far and reduce productivity. Malicious gossip is very corrosive to team morale. It can also start cliques and bring other problematic issues. Therefore, it’s worth making sure this doesn’t get out of control.

Jayne concludes: “Offering supervisors some training on managing workplace romances will be beneficial. Even if you don’t have an official policy and are seeing a romance blossom, you may need to remind the happy couple to remain professional in work. And if you think it’s required and fits the culture of your business, you could draw up a policy on office romances.”

Scroll down to read more articles like this which have been published recently

Why not Sign-up to Receive these Articles by Email each Day

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

* Read more current and archived articles on our dedicated website *

Low Cost and Free Publicity - Your company can easily benefit from some publicity like this in return for a contribution towards our layout costs (£55 to £75 plus VAT), payable in advance via PayPal or credit card or receive the service absolutely free of charge if you advertise (see below).

We post articles up to twice a day and never delete them - we only archive them each year so that they continue to remain visible to search engines.

To have your story published - just send us your news item, logo and image(s) and we will review the material, make any necessary changes to the wording / wordcount and then advise you when it will be published.

If you are a regular advertiser placing series bookings or subscribing to our VIP Packages in our printed and online publications, you will qualify for a specific number of free postings on this blog while you continue to advertise with us.

Also, if you purchase one of our Online and Print Combo packages, Featured Articles or Advertorial packages, posting on this blog is included in the price.

For details and rates for all of our advertising options in print and online, download our media pack contact us or visit our website.

Door Industry Journal is a trading style of Avalon Innovations LLP Company Registration No. 06807833

No comments: