Saturday 1 November 2014

Tradespeople More Likely Than Average To Undertake Training

UK tradespeople are more likely to ensure that they continue to develop their occupational skills than the general population, according to the findings of a major survey that explodes many of the traditional stereotypes of White Van Men.

A poll of more than 10,000 tradespeople by the UK’s biggest online and mail order supplier of ironmongery products to the trade, IronmongeryDirect, reveals that 13 per cent of UK tradespeople are currently undertaking training compared to just 10 per cent of the population as a whole. The study also found that 58 per cent of tradespeople have professional qualifications related to their work compared to 20 per cent of the general population. The survey canvassed opinion from workers in a range of professions, including carpenters, builders, plumbers and electricians.

Moreover, it would appear that the public perception of White Van Men as lacking in basic training is a real sore point for many tradespeople. Approximately 67 per cent described themselves as 'highly trained and skilled', while only 11 per cent agreed that it is generally true that real-life tradespeople are 'poorly educated and trained'.

The research also sheds light on how happy they are in their chosen job. When asked 'On a scale from 1 to 10 how much do you love your job?', with 10 being the most in favour, the most common response from tradespeople was an impressive 8 out of 10. And in response to the question 'Which of the following best describes your earnings?', an overwhelming 93 per cent said either it's boom time, things are going well, I'm comfortable, or I get by – leaving just 7 per cent saying it's a bit of a struggle.

Lastly, the three most popular answers to the question 'What aspects of the job do you enjoy the most?' were 'Pride from good workmanship and a job well done' (86 per cent), 'Everyday is different' (65 per cent), and 'Flexibility to manage own workload and hours' (56 per cent).

Wayne Lysaght-Mason, managing director at IronmongeryDirect, said: "Our research shows that the myth of tradespeople as poorly educated, low-skilled and badly trained is well wide of the mark.

"Instead, it's highly common for tradespeople to undertake further training courses to ensure that they are continuously improving their skills and able to deliver an excellent service to their customers. These well-educated individuals are choosing a career in the trades because it offers them high levels of job satisfaction, strong earnings potential and the flexibility that comes with being in charge of your own business."

For more information, please visit , call 0808 168 28 28 or email

***** Don't Miss the Latest News - Receive these Posts by Email *****

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

* Read more current and archived articles on our dedicated website *

Low Cost and Free Publicity - Your company can easily benefit from some publicity like this in return for a contribution towards our layout costs (typically £30 plusVAT), payable via PayPal or credit card  or receive the service absolutely free of charge if you advertise (see below).

We post articles up to twice a day and never delete them - we only archive them each year so that they continue to remain visible to search engines.

To have your story published - just send us your news item, logo and image(s) and we will review the material, make any necessary changes to the wording / wordcount and then advise you when it will be published.

If you take display advertising or product and literature features in our printed and online publications, you will qualify for regular free postings on this blog while you continue to advertise with us.

For details on features and advertising rates please contact us or visit our website.

Door Industry Journal is a trading style of Avalon Innovations LLP Company Registration No. 06807833

No comments: